Why I Hate Tall Fescue

Note: This article was written for the Bay Journal News Service which was published on May 27, 2014.  It was titled, “Please, Step on This Grass”.  Click here for a pdf copy.

I was in the Farm Coop store the other day in line to buy some garden seeds. The farmer in front of me ordered fifty pounds of Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue. I thought, “Oh my God, you poor dear, haven’t you heard”?

Close up of Tall Fescue.

Close up of Tall Fescue.

Those seeds are infected with an internal fungus that secretes an alkaloid that will be toxic to your livestock.

We should not plant another seed of Tall Fescue. Not only is it invasive and non-native (it’s native to Europe), it is toxic to just about everything that consumes it and it inhibits the growth of other plants.

Tall Fescue (Festuca arundinacea) is one of the most dominant grasses found in pastures, hayland, lawns, roadsides, wetlands and vacant lots throughout most of North America. It is almost always infected with an internal fungus, an endophyte (Acremonium coenophialum), which produces an alkaloid (ergovaline) that is toxic.

We’ve known for years its grave effects on pregnant horses: abortions, thickened placentas, and limited milk. Cattle get “fescue toxicosis” or “summer slump” which includes elevated body temperature, hoof rot, tail rot, lower conception rates and lower weight gain.

Cattle grazing too much Tall Fescue can get "fescue foot", a crippling condition caused by the toxins in the grass.

Cattle grazing too much Tall Fescue can get “fescue foot”, a crippling condition caused by the toxins in the grass.

In wildlife biology Fescue is known as the “F” word. According to most wildlife biologists it is the number one reason our Northern Bobwhite populations have plummeted. That’s because Tall Fescue forms a sod or mat so thick a bird can’t walk through it. Tall Fescue seeds are also toxic to birds. Fescue also creates excellent habitat for meadow voles, which attracts hawks and hawks also kill Bobwhites.

Tall Fescue is toxic to just about anything that eats it. Google it. It’s toxic to dairy cows, beef cows, horses, sheep, goats, birds, grasshoppers, ants and even nematodes. It also cuts down on biodiversity because it takes up space that native biota could have occupied and it’s aggressive.

Beef cattle in Poague Run before stream exclusion.

Cattle eating tall fescue during the summer will have elevated body temperature making them hot.  They will spend more time trying to cool off than eating which lowers weight gain.  Livestock should be excluded from streams because they destroy the steam banks and defecate in the water.

It’s also toxic to newly planted tree seedlings. This is called allelopathic, when one plant exudes a substance into the soil that inhibits the growth of other plants. This is one of the reasons many riparian forest buffer plantings failed. A two-year-old hardwood seedling inserted into a mature sod of Tall Fescue not only has to compete with the established fescue roots for nutrients and water; it has to overcome the toxins secreted by the endophyte in Tall Fescue.

Tall Fescue with seed heads.

Tall Fescue with seed heads.

It’s persistent in the landscape. I call it the toxic waste of the grass kingdom. It is difficult to get rid of. I once had a client tell me he bought a farm with Tall Fescue pasture. He wanted wildlife habitat. So he just “let it go” hoping natural succession would take place. Ten years later it looked exactly the same. The Tall Fescue formed such a dense mat that no seed could get through it and even if it did the allelopathic toxins would cause its demise.

So why does USDA still recommend it and how did it get here in the first place?

A brief history: Livestock farmers are always looking for grass that can produce feed for the longest period of time. University of Kentucky agronomists found what they thought was the “holy grail” of grasses in 1931 in a “holler” in the winter…it was green when all other grasses were dormant. They collected the plant and propagated it. The University released it in 1943 under the name Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue.

Oops. They did not know the plant had an internal fungus that produced an alkaloid that is toxic. We’ve been promoting it ever since, even though we discovered the toxic relationship in the 1970’s.

Okay, I’ll admit tall fescue is good for three things: erosion control, winter grazing and wiping manure off your boots.

Tall Fescue is good for erosion control because it is aggressive and can withstand abuse. Cattlemen have been using it for years to “stockpile” as winter grazing. In other words they take their cattle off of it in August, fertilize it with nitrogen, let it grow. then graze it during the winter. It is excellent forage in the winter because the toxins aren’t active in cool temperatures.

Cellulose digesting mobile protein factories.

We have diluted the tall fescue in our pastures by over-seeding them with clovers.

Okay, it’s everywhere and difficult to get rid of it. How do we deal with it? The first line of defense is to dilute it. Graze it hard then over-seed with clover. There are “endophyte free” varieties of Tall Fescue but these have not proven long-lived.

Two effective ways to kill Tall Fescue include tilling it to death, or a couple of applications of herbicide. Once killed, plant a more desirable forage.

The best remedy though is to never plant another seed of endophyte infected Tall Fescue. There are many other grasses that can produce forage for livestock without the side effects of the endophyte such as Orchardgrass and smooth brome. Let’s use them.

1. Always informative. I am glad I have not ever planted any (to my knowledge).

2. Buff Showalter says:

How do you get rid of the stuff in rough riparian areas where it is impossible to disc or spray?

Buff, if it’s impossible to disc or spray you might have to just live with it. How about a backpack sprayer?

3. Matt Yancey says:

Buff has a thrifty young son that would work well with a backpack sprayer!

4. Amanda Brown says:

This is a prime example of how a simple lack of the proper education can have devastating effects. It is the responsibility of the government to step in, balance the pros and cons of it’s existence in a non native environment, and make the appropriate change. We need to move away from the quick fix mindset when it comes to our environment. Things need to start being considered from an ecological standpoint, not an economical one, when regarding our world and it’s ecosystems.

5. Jordan Palamone says:

Great article as usual professor. This is a prime example of the lack of critical information provided to consumers. They know the grass grows readily, but are completely clueless to the fact that Tall Fescue is toxic to livestock. This case of tall fescue gives us reason to fully understand the potential harmful effects that could arise from genetically modified food. Currently we are not allowed to test the effects of consuming GMO crops and we may be too late when we finally find a problem. I mean it took 40 years after the discovery of tall fescue for them to discover it’s toxic relationship. Hopefully we don’t rely on crops that have the potential for disaster.

6. Caitlin Shipman says:

Until reading this blog post, I was unaware of all of the harm Tall Fescue can cause. The part that boggles my mind the most is why is the USDA still promoting this grass when we now know that it is harmful to ecosystems and livestock? Certainly, Tall Fescue does more harm than good. I believe the steps listed to kill Tall Fescue should be taken by any farmer who values having a healthy pasture for their livestock.

7. Susan Andersen says:

It funny that you have us read this because I just read an article in Town and Country magazine telling rich people to plant different varieties of fescue in their yards to prevent soil erosion and the cut down on mowing. It actually looked really pretty in their yards, the magazine photographers did a good job with that one. Now obviously rich suburban yards are a completely different environment than farms. You don’t wants animals around to eat your grass in the suburbs so it wouldn’t matter as much that fescue can be poisonous there but the natural cycles that go on on farms shouldn’t be interrupted by a non-native, aggressive grass. It interesting that this grass is actually endorsed by several different sources even though it is harmful to the ecosystem around it.

8. Ben Foster says:

I am not a farmer by any means, but I have heard of tall fescue before and each time it was used in a positive connotation such as those mentioned above like erosion control and it being a hearty grass that can grow just about anywhere. I had no idea of its negative side effects such as secreting a toxic alkaloid. I feel that many people are in the same boat as me and are under educated in the topic. People should know both sides before buying products such as this. I will have to keep this message in mind the next time I hear Tall Fescue in order to educate people on what can happen if they are allowing there livestock to graze in fields of Tall Fescue.

9. Oliver Allen says:

I agree with Caitlin. I had to do a double take when I read that the USDA has put the “ok” on Tall Fescue grass. It seems contrary to the thought process that the USDA should have. This grass causes harm to the livestock and the other animals that feed on it. The livestock is then (in some occasions) processed and used as meat for the families in this country. While it may have benefits to it, Tall Fescue is not the grass that farmers should be using on their pastures.

10. Allyson Ponn says:

It’s unbelievable that such a common seed has such devastating effects. Until this class, I have never heard of this issue, and I was raised around livestock. It’s shocking to me that the Tall Fescue is still promoted by the USDA. I guess this is just another example of every solution have both the good and the bad. As you pointed out Professor, it’s great for preventing soil erosion however the toxin is obviously harmful. As others have stated in their comments before, education can go a long way. I’m glad you pointed out alternatives to use, now lets hope people listen!

11. Leah Wilkes says:

Wow! I am curious, so Tall Fescue is still very common in pastures. Is it well known that the tall fescue is harmful? Also what exactly does the internal fungus that secretes an alkaloid do??

This sounds like yet another issue where education will help in the long-term.
    Very interesting and insightful article

• Sara Guthrie says:

I agree with Leah that education will be key in fixing this problem. Its hard to understand why the grass is still so prevalent when it causes such harm to livestock. I would have never thought that it was so harmful because we see it everywhere. It would be nice to see some more varieties.

12. Nathan Irving says:

I see this grass all the time all over the place and had no idea that it was toxic to practically everything. Definitely not something that is common knowledge, yet detrimental to crop growth and restoration of trees. It is convenient that the toxins are dormant in colder weather, which gives tall fescue some uses. But I wonder if there are other potential uses for tall fescue as biomass for energy production. Especially if it grows thick and pretty much year round. Could be something to look into.

13. Anders Hasselquist says:

It is interesting that as bad as the Tall Fescue is, it still serves some beneficial purposes for the environment. Obviously the cons far out way the pros of Tall Fescue and should be taken care of appropriately. I was wondering if there was any data of the economic impact Tall Fescue has on farmers with livestock? It would be interesting to see if removing all Tall Fescue would greatly increase livestock yields.

14. Harley Burton says:

Very informative article! I knew fescue was an invasive species, but had never understood the extent of its detrimental effects. I am sure that I am not alone in this lack of awareness. I find that many people support what is familiar without questioning its impacts, and fescue is yet another example. We have grown accustomed to seeing it abundantly in our pastures without stopping to think of its relationship to its environment, and the reasons why it thrives. Now it is clear to me that it survives as a product of its own toxicity and hindrance to neighboring species. People must become aware of these negative effects, and work towards eradicating this nuisance species.

15. Brody Edwards says:

Where im from there was a push to plant as much tall fescue as possible in pastures, along creeks and rivers(to prevent erosion), and along roadsides and it happened. People began planting tons and it was a good thing, it looked beautiful and it held the soil and water content when it rained. but, there was also a crowd pushing for it not to happen and this is because it is toxic to livestock and animals. now instead of a push to plant more, there is a push to get rid of it and go back to natural native grasses and fescue.

16. Ben Petersen says:

So does the USDA believe the benefits of Tall Fescue outweigh the negatives? It baffles me as to why Tall Fescue is still recommended. I agree with Amanda in the fact off I feel like there must be poor education on this subject. I really wonder if the farmer who bought the Tall fescue knew about the toxic alkaloid. To me, it seems like Tall Fescue is the easy way out. I’m guessing farmers still use it because it makes it easier for them to feed their livestock. Just my two cents.

17. Jesse Peebles says:

I didn’t realize that tall fescue was this bad towards the ecology around it and for that matter am a little lost as to why stores are selling it at all. Since it is native to Europe does it cause the same problems there as it does in the US?

18. Josh Kugler says:

Before this post, I really never heard much about tall fescue. However, its something that I am glad that I know about now. This article amazes me with the narrow mind of some people. You would think that if you were going to order such a large amount of a certain type of plant that you would do your research and determine if what you were buying was really going to help your farm instead of hurt it. I guess it is a situation where the idea/limited benefits of tall fescue have been passed down over the years and it is just natural for people to continue buying it. Personally, it sounds like farmers that purchase tall fescue are lazy or dont have the time to research into this plant. I guess that is something we will not be able to know. Great article. Glad to know what I know now because of it.

19. Jackson Snarr says:

Great article, and as always very informative. I had no idea how dangerous that pesky plant, Kentucky 31, was even though I have grown up around it all my life. I think the issue is, as with most of the blog you post about, clearly regarding education. Even though the plant on the outside seems like a very desirable grass to have in your field it is clear that the harmful effects of tall fescue in the warmer months outweigh any perceived benefits. I believe if the farmer who ordered 50 lbs of Kentucky 31 was educated about exactly what you know, ie. how harmful, and other viable options, I do not believe he would make the same purchase.

20. Ashleigh Cotting says:

I found this to be interesting because it seems to me like tall fescue could be useful when applied in the correct situation. Erosion control and winter grazing are both important uses that the grass can serve. However, because fescue has been used incorrectly for so long, it has a very bad reputation. It would be cool to see fescue used in the right environment where it could do some good.

21. Jessanna August says:

Because there are many other types of grasses that can accomplish the same results as tall fescue, I’m wondering if the reason for the continuation of planting tall fescue is related to poor public outreach warning of the plant’s toxicity. I was very unaware of the toxicity of tall fescue prior to reading this article. There needs to be more information on the harmful effects of the species. Perhaps the seeds are cheap, thus urging people to lean more towards tall fescue rather than some native plant. However, it just seems to make more sense that a native plant to the Americas would survive more effectively and benefit the land more than a nonnative species. Thank you for the warning Mr. Whitescarver!

22. Codey Johnson says:

Personally I have always kind of liked tall fescue, but that was before today. It was probably because I spent a lot of time outdoors as a kid and like you said, the stuff is everywhere. It was great for using as an imaginary sword and the seeds on the end were especially useful for smacking my sisters once or twice. As a little boy who enjoyed cowboys and Indians I would often stick a piece of fescue in my mouth just like it was a piece of hay and I was a cowboy, but after reading this article I probably wont be sticking the stuff in my mouth anymore. There are a lot of environmental wrongs we need to correct and i think we should add the spread of tall fescue to that list. It may not top the list but we can clearly see this grass is evil.

23. Beginning in 2001 and finishing in 2013 I killed all of the toxic tall fescue on my quarter section cow-calf operation. Doing 10-15 acres/year I eradicated the nasty poisonous grass and replaced it with novel endophyte tall fescue. Universities, back in the 80’s recommended endophyte free tall fescue. In 1-3 years most of it died. Turns out the endophyte was the component that gave the plant the persistence to withstand heavy grazing, insect attacks, disease, extreme heat, etc. Then along came plant breeders with a novel endophyte. The novel endophyte gives the plant excellent persistence (as long as it isn’t grazed into the ground) but does not produce the dreaded toxin, erogvaline. My first stands are now 13 and 14 years old and going strong.

24. It’s interesting to observe the consequences of human action when we act with incomplete information. We thought this fescue would be a boon for farmers, instead it has turned into a mess out competing native species, invading further territory, and causing animal growth problems. Perhaps most amazing is that instead of admitting we are wrong, the USDA has decided to double down and continue to push fescue use when other pasture crops can be planted in it’s place to provide variety to grazers, hold soil, and give back to the land with nitrogen from legumes and biomass from all.

25. Cameron Stalker says:

I really only ever heard good things about fescue before listening to your lectures and reading this early. Growing up my dad always talked about how much he loved fescue. After reading this article, I can really see how harmful that fescue is to the animals and the environment around it. I am surprised with how harmful fescue is that I have never heard of the harmfulness and push to remove the use of fescue.

26. Jonathon Gellings says:

I’m amazed people still plant the K31 blend of tall fescue for grazing despite the current knowledge that it isn’t a healthy grass, especially because there are other known healthy alternatives. Even though it is good for winter feed, there are other ways to adequately provide food for cattle during the winter months. You also mention it is good for erosion control, but there are plenty of other grasses and trees that would be just as effective in erosion prevention. Since it is invasive and so unhealthy/dominant, we should be taking more proactive steps to eliminate it here in the U.S.

27. Preston White says:

It was interesting to read that tall fescue was introduced by professional agronomists after relatively little long-term research. At the same time, however, it is sad to witness yet another story of a seemingly grand scientific discovery being rushed into implementation before ending in catastrophe shortly after. A similar story that comes to mind is the genetically modified Flavr Savr tomato with its pros that blinded even the FDA from the underlying cons that later proved disastrous. The whole trial and error method that is sometimes used in such developmental processes is such risky business that it makes the “all natural” approach to food and other things seem that much better.

28. David Glenn says:

Before reading this article I had no idea that Tall Fescue caused so much damage to wildlife as well as farms. Not to mention that is actually released a harmful toxin. However after reading this article I understand the concern for wanting to remove it completely and not have it around. Even though the Tall Fescue is beneficial for winter grazing as well as erosion control, the harm it causes to the wildlife habitat seems to outweigh those benefits. To me it really does not make sense to keep planting such a harmful and invasive species when there are other alternatives, like Orchardgrass, that provide the same benefits as the Tall Fescue.

29. Clark Siebels says:

Its super intriguing that the fescue toxins are not active in the winter! Thats an interesting point someone, that for some reason stands behind fescue, could use as leverage in an argument. Another interesting point you stated was the infection cows can develop from grazing in fescue for extended periods of time. However I found online that this infection is more common in the fall and winter months while the cows are grazing, does fescue excrete more than one harmful toxin? I thought that point was interesting since you said the toxins in the fescue are not active in the winter. Here is the link so you can take a look.

30. The negative side effects to Tall Fescue overpower the positive effects. Although this demon grass helps erosion control and influences winter grazing, it depletes riparian forest buffers and native plants. This was the part of the blog that stood out to me. Riparian forest buffers are a best management practice that isn’t as successful because of Tall Fescue. I never understand how we allow toxic substances (Tall Fescue, cigarettes, GMOs) continue to be sold after knowing their negative consequences. Instead of using Tall Fescue, people could use alternatives to help erosion control and winter grazing that are native and positive influences on the Earth.

31. Carli Kohler says:

Before reading this blog post and I did not know anything about the Tall Fescue. I had heard it mentioned once when I was talking to a family friend who raises cattle seasonally and had to stop for a few years for an invasion of some species. Talking to her after reading this it was indeed the Tall Fescue. After many years now her fields and livestock are healthy and the problem has been taken under control, but she made a point to say how much she hated the Tall Fescue as well. Now that I have learned more about it is very hard to even appreciate the maybe one positive that it does, because it is so negative and breaks down hard work and BMPs in its path.

32. Asa Nienstadt says:

This post illustrates the importance of biosecurity. Farmers should take care to do as much research as possible before introducing new ecological parts to their farm. A new species on the farm could be the vector for some parasite or illness. eg. apple-cedar rust from buying cedars or apples at a nursery that has rampant infections. Livestock and plants can also bear infectious diseases that are easier to mitigate than to treat.

33. James Smith says:

(Edited Version Apologies) Prior to taking your ISAT 424 class Professor Whitescarver, I had no clue that fescue was an invasive species. However, this article’s emphasis on how fescue cuts down on biodiversity and how aggressive this invasive species is was not clear to me. I was not aware of the toxicity levels in the plant and the allelopathic properties associated with it. Necessary steps need to be taken to dilute this invasive plant such as what is suggested in the article. I was shocked at the benefits it provides with erosion control and winter grazing, but nonetheless it contains the fungal toxic alkaloid. We can either till it to death or provide applications of herbicide. These tasks sound manageable for most farmers, but tedious. If I were to become a farmer in the future, I will take note of the suggestions to utilize orchardgrass and smooth brome as my main crops replacing tall fescue.

34. Too bad tall fescue can’t be controlled. If it was more controllable it could be a good way to stabilize stream banks that are not already covered by other types of vegetation, and it wouldn’t be a problem to cattle since hopefully they are fenced off from the stream bed. I wonder how many people are really aware of the negative effects of fescue. I honestly did not know it existed until this class, let alone know the impacts that it has. Getting rid of the species might help more in the conservation efforts since it can have such a large impact on biodiversity. I think that the word needs to get out more about the issues that tall fescue causes, and then maybe more people will get involved with getting rid of it. If it isn’t talked about in overwhelming amounts, no one will probably pay attention to it and believe that its just a regular old plant that does more good than bad. Showing how it can wound the cows would be a good visual aid to raise awareness. I wonder if the wounds caused by the grass lead to more infections/sicknesses in cows. No one wants to eat that!

35. The example of tall fescue shows the true dangers of introducing non-native species to environments without proper research. It is very surprising that this continues to be promoted, despite the known effect, but as Hannah so aptly put, we see the same thing in many other aspects of our culture. Although there are benefits to fescue, I think that the negative consequences far outweigh the positive. There are suitable, native options that could be implemented with the same success and hopefully those options will become the norm in our lifetime.

36. There are too many negative side effects to using tall fescue. The amount of damage and harm it causes to the environment and wildlife is not worth the risk. More people should be aware of its dangers and he alternatives you mentioned in this article. I believe if the public were truly warned about the damages that tall fescue can create it would definitely minimize its usage drastically. I know I was unaware of this issue and I was definitely appalled in learning about the toxicity of tall fescue when reading this article. The cons of tall fescue definitely outweigh the pros. I definitely agree that we should not plant another seed of tall fescue. People should look more into native species that are actually helpful and not harmful to everything around us.

37. I had never heard of tall fescue before reading this article, but this was quite an eye opening read. The most shocking part of this article is how this grass is still being promoted and sold as grass for pasture – especially given its toxicity. I must admit, I almost admire its stubborn nature and I find it very analogous to the American chestnut blight. Nature has given it the perfect tools to thrive and flourish and as a result it simply dominates over its competition. Unfortunately this ends up in failed riparian buffers and toxic soils :(

38. Parker Ballam says:

This article really puts into perspective the tumble down the food chain that causes disease and endangers specific species of wildlife. It makes you wonder if those taxa higher on the food chain can develop adverse side effects from consuming lower trophic levels that feed on the grass. As for keeping it under control, many people do not realize that once they manage to control the fescue with tillage, they must maintain a relatively dense vegetation cover with the desired plants. If the area is mowed frequently after eradication, this leaves the area exposed to re-infestation through dormant seeds or seed migration. Tilling in the fall and exposing what lives in temperature controlled ground to the freezing temperatures is also something to consider when trying to rid yourself of this grass. The problem may not be cut and dry with all of the rippling effects, but the solution is. Reading this made me understand the lesser known complications with fescue and stressed the importance of the need to eradicate it.

39. Matthew McCarter says:

Looking at both the benefits and drawbacks of using Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue, I believe the negatives vastly outweigh the positives. The main argument proponents of tall fescue would have seems to only be its use as a winter feed, but while that is good the negatives are too much for tall fescue to be worth using. The way tall fescue hinders other plant growth has many large effects on operations some might not realize at first. The movement in the Chesapeake Bay watershed relies heavily on trying to install riparian buffer zones along tributaries, and if this one plant can cause a buffer not to succeed it should not be planted again. I believe this hindrance of other plants is more than enough to stop planting tall fescue, but when additionally taking into account how it is also sometimes toxic to livestock and its invasive behavior, I cannot see how anyone would still be okay planting Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue.

40. Alex Macfarlane says:

I am shocked that Tall Fescue is not a native species to North America. If this is the grass I think it is, then I have seen in nearly everywhere and it massive abundance. Its surprising to hear it is toxic to so many organisms, especially when it appears harmless at first glance. Its very unfortunate to learn that it has such great features such as erosion control, winter grazing but contains toxin. If it were possible to inactivate the toxin or remove it completely, it would be a very feed grass. Its hardiness will be ideal in the future due to global climate change and its effects on climate sensitive crops.

41. Aaron Bouchard says:

I knew that Tall Fescue was allelopathic, non-native, and invasive, but after reading this article I now see how bad it really is for the livestock, wildlife and environment. I think that education about the harms Tall Fescue should be spread to the farming community. I wonder if they will ever ban the sale of Tall Fescue seeds. I’m surprised that they even sell the seeds of invasive, non-native species. Having a field of clover or another native plant that is good for the wildlife is a much healthier option for the environment and it looks better too!

42. Annelise Libera says:

After learning about invasive grass species, such as Tall Fescue and Japanese Stiltgrass, I have noticed them both on farms in the area. Everyone, including myself, usually thinks that any green plant in the ground is good. If people were educated on the invasive species in the area, then they might take notice to the grasses and other species in their own backyard. It is concerning that farmers who are actively planting the invasive species don’t know what they are adding to and taking away from the ecosystem. If a similar non-invasive grass could be introduced instead of the continuous growth of Fescue, the ecosystems of the area could become more diverse and overall, healthier.

43. Sean McArdle says:

I’ve witnessed the growth of tall fescue in my backyard my whole life, but this is my first time hearing that this “F word” is toxic. The picture of the cow’s fescue foot is very concerning and it’s even more upsetting that this plant continues to be consumed. It’s clear that tall fescue has many pros, but the cons appear to out-weigh advantages like soil erosion prevention and wiping manure. It would be interesting to read up on some case studies about how individuals killed the fescue and whether their specific remedy worked.

44. Wow, I am shocked to have learned all of this regarding fescue. I knew it was bad for pregnant horses but I was not aware that it could cause infections such as the fescue foot! This is very concerning to me considering its abundance in Virginia; you’d figure that if people have known about its toxicity since the 1970s we would be more educated and stop buying it to purposefully plant and feed livestock.

45. Sara Miskowic says:

Its crazy to me that this plant causes so much harm, and people are still buying it. There should be a law that disallows the selling of this plant. It was also amazing to me that this invasive species causes so much damage to livestock. Its also really interesting to me that the USDA promotes such a harmful grass. It often makes me double think anything that the government says is good for you.

46. Ben Watkins says:

KY 31 tall fescue pastures are the predominant cool – season grass in this area. Experience shows that KY 31 is a very durable grass, able to come through the droughts of 2012 and 2013 (as well as the non – native bermudagrass) when improved fescues (endophyte free and endophyte friendly) failed. Orchardgrass and timothy were also seriously hurt by the droughts. KY 31 can be managed with clover overseedings to dilute the effects. USDA in this area doesn’t necessarily promote seeding it, but realizes that it is a durable pasture grass that protects the thin topsoils in this area. They recommend good grazing practices as well as clover overseeding already mentioned. But the issue is the ability of the grass to control pasture erosion when other grasses fail due to periodic droughts, followed by high rainfall events.